At Home with Kelly Rizzo
The Host of Eat Travel Rock TV, entertaining expert and wife of Bob Saget (they tied the knot three years ago), keeps herself busy whipping up recipes for all occasions, in between her travel endeavors and production company.
You’ll likely find Kelly Rizzo behind the scenes and off the cuff with famous chefs, musicians and industry heavyweights as host of the award-winning entertainment series Eat Travel Rock TV. Kelly’s passion-turned-profession always brings the best food, travel and music together in rockstar fashion.
She also recently launched Eat Travel Rock Productions which has been creating food and beverage packages for restaurants and bars reopening from Covid-19 closures.
The Chicago native, currently based in LA, Kelly, as a food and entertaining expert, can whip up recipes across all genres, as well as fun mixology - both across health and wellness and guilty pleasures.
Kelly Rizzo’s Italian Chili (Bob’s Favorite)
1 large zucchini chopped into small cubes
1 cup baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
1 half onion, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper
3 links of spicy Italian turkey sausage, casings removed, crumbled OR Beyond Meat Spicy Italian Sausage
2 Cans Cannellini beans
1 can San Marzano tomatoes
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/4 tsp Crushed red chili flakes
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (or oregano)
Basil - 5 large leaves, chopped for garnish
Ricotta cheese (can use part skim)
1/4 cup of The Jersey Tomato Co. sauce in Spicy flavor
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat.
2. Sauté the zucchini for 1 min then add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 more min and then crumble the sausage (removed from casing) into the pot. Stir until browned.
3. Turn heat to medium. Add the 2 cans of beans and can of tomatoes in sauce (crush tomatoes if they’re whole). Add garlic powder, chili flakes, Italian seasoning and season again with salt and pepper.
4. Cover and cook on low-simmer for at least 30 min. Serve into 4 bowls and garnish with basil and ricotta.
Makes 2-4 servings
Kelly’s Festive Fall Pasta
1/2 lb.Butternut squash pasta (or any kind of pasta)
1 package sliced mushrooms
1/3 cup veggie or chicken stock
1 tbsp butter
1.5 cups cubed butternut squash
2 cloves garlic
Sage (5-6 leaves)
1/2 cup Goat cheese or blue cheese
1.5 cups Arugula
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Place butternut squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper
3.Roast for 40 min or until golden brown and soft
4. In a skillet over medium high heat, cook butter with the sage for 1 min then add the mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper, add 1/3 cup veggie or chicken stock, turn down to medium heat, and cook a bit longer. Check seasoning and adjust as necessary.
5. Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente
6. Add the roasted squash to the skillet and stir to coat. Add pasta and 1/4 cup reserved pasta water. Stir until well combined and sauce thickens a bit. Turn on heat and add arugula and stir to combine until lightly wilted. Crumble goat (or blue) cheese on top and gently stir to lightly mix. Serve and enjoy!
Makes 2-3 servings
Hearty Italian Taco
6 flour tortillas
1 package Beyond Meat Vegan Hot Italian Sausage or Hot Italian turkey/chicken sausage
½ onion finely diced
½ cup mushrooms chopped
1 medium zucchini diced
½ cup ricotta cheese
⅓ cup pecorino cheese
1 cup arugula
Fresh basil, chiffonade
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, mushrooms and zucchini for 1 minute.
2. Add sausage (the vegan sausage can be added directly to pan, turkey or chicken sausage must be removed from its casing.)
3. Mash sausage in the pan and flatten and brown it until it begins to crumble.
4. Mix it in with the veggies and cook together for about 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Once cooked and all crumbled together, turn off heat.
6. Take tortillas and wrap them in damp paper towels and cook in microwave to steam them (about 50 seconds).
7.Fill each tortilla with meat mixture and top with arugula, basil, ricotta, pecorino and hot giardiniera to taste.
8. Finish with an extra drizzle of high-quality olive oil.